all I really need is a skillet...all I really want is a sink...




The Cupboards are gone (along with the countertops), the kitchen sink is awol, my dishwasher is in the basement (along with new stove, cabinets, and exhaust hood), I don't even really have walls or lighting in the kitchen, but for the most part...I'm fine. But so help me, if someone were to take away my cast iron skillet, I...would...freak. It would literally be a scene out of "falling down." I have come to rely pretty heavily on this thing for its versatility and easy cleanup (or should i say wipe-out). Some people are grossed out by the fact that you don't really wash these, but when you are doing dishes in a bus tub in your bathroom, you get over it really fast. basically you just rinse these out with water (you can use a scrub brush if you need to) and wipe them out with some paper towels. the more that you use them, the more nonstick they get. The three dishes above were all made in the cast iron and all turned out really well. the one addition I would suggest getting would be a lid. You can use foil in a pinch, but it's kind of wonky looking and you are better than that. you could buy the matching one (that costs just as much as the skillet) or you should be able to pick one up at any random store or you might already have one that fits in your collection.

ok, ontootherthings:
Lets talk about food...obviously have been making a lot of one-pot/dish meals lately. actually, that's kind of a rule right now since washing dishes is a total pain. we've been trying to keep it interesting with stir frys, curries, and braises, but have also tried to grill once in a while. The food above is: braised beef brisket (a backlog st. patty's day pic), shakshuka, and irish bacon and eggs. Irish bacon is something that I'd never had before. the package said that it contained 60% less fat than regular bacon, and since that's a reason I LIKE regular bacon, i was a little skeptical on how it would be. It was sort of like someone shaved slices off of a porkchop, but in a good way.
nonfoods: bowled the worst game of my life on saturday night (may or may not have been around 60...), but also had some of the most fun. I'm exploring the maze of electrical wires that past homeowners have installed in our haus. Finished reading "the sun also rises." it was a personal challenge because I was a self -proclaimed Hemingway hater. I have since changed my mind because although i might not like all of his subject matter, it is, in fact, pretty well-written.
Also: I've decided the only things you really need to prepare awesome tastys are: a sharp knife, a cutting board, a cast iron skillet, and a pot.
with that said: The things I don't need but am still going to get once my kitchen is finished:) this, this, this, and well, I have some ideas...
DISH recommends:
Lodge Cast iron skillet 12". on sale right now for 27.95. pretty sweet deal considering your grandkids could probably use it (this is mostly directed to those of us without grandkids...or kids of our own...not to say that your lovely, lively grandkids couldn't use it...but only under adult supervision...

2 comments:

Sarah M said...

wow. washing dishes in the bathtub. That's gotta' be fun. At least you'll have a dishwasher (and a brand spanking new one at that!) at the end of it all...along with a gorgeous kitchen.
Can't wait to see it all done you guys!
Sarah M

Chris said...

Reminds me of camping. Hang in there Steve!