Don't Mess with the Rosti



I have been wanting to make Rosti for a really long time.  I can't really give you a reason why I haven't ever made it.  It seemed simple enough.  Kind of like glorified hashbrowns or simplified latkes.  I thought that I would give them a go last night.  They turned out really well (thanks to Wife's mad skills, I almost ruined them on the flip, but she intervened and saved the day).  Pretty much a combo of both latkes and hashbrowns (very buttery, crispy outside, with a fluffly, oniony interior).  I think that next time I will add some cheese to the mix.  Friday night was pizza night.  We used the glorious whole wheat crusts from the bakery (you haven't tried these yet? pshaw!) and made a ham and pineapple and a barbecue chicken.  both super easy and crazy delicious. the center pic is yellow curry with chicken. My cousin Lyndi taught me how to make that dish and I must say that it is pretty delicious. it's great because you can add whatever you want for a protein. Chicken, pork, fish, beef, tofu, monkey heads, yak tails, you get the idea.  whatever you put in there is going to be great.
oh yeah, did you notice the ridiculous fat burger in the rosti pic?  I kind of felt bad after that one.  I figured it was less of a death sentence because I used really lean sirloin for the burgers.  they were topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions, bacon, and guacamole.  Yikes! Neither of us finished. Probably a good thing.  
Other newsworthy news:  Today I am going to make Cassoulet.  This is a dish I have been wanting to make for quite a while.  Traditionally, you use duck confit (along with pork butt, etc), but I didn't want to go to the trouble of making that just to use in another dish.  I am going to do mine with pork butt, and little linguica meatballs.  I had this dish in Portland and it was made with rabbit and blood sausage.  it was probably one of the best things I've ever had.  Pretty excited.  Also, time permitting, I am going to attempt to make some sort of tart.  I was wanting to do a blood orange tart, but we'll see what happens.  Oh yeah, i stumbled across this artisan knife maker's website.  WOW!  I want one.  They are probably the coolest looking knives ever.  I'll have to save some definite clammage.  this guy knows what's up: www.kramerknives.com
DISH recommends:
eating fruit:  I have been eating a lot of fruit lately (at least 2 pieces a day.) and I feel great.  It's citrus season, and I have been enjoying blood oranges, grapefruit (much to my amazement), and clementines.  I have also become a huge fan of the honeycrisp apple.  Apples to me, need to be super crisp and not at all mealy ( i hate red delicious).  These definitely meet those requirements.  check them out.
Dish's ridiculously easy tomato sauce (for pizza, breadstick dippage) 
equal parts good quality tomato paste and hot water (this rec. is for an 8 oz to 8 oz ratio)
salt and peps
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
some grated parmesan (about a tablespoon)
combine the paste and hot water, let steep for a couple of minutes.  then mix until well blended.  add spices/cheese and stir.  best if this hangs out in the fridge for about 20 min, but can be eaten right out.  So, yeah, you might look at this and say that's a crap recipe, or not legit or whatever, but I don't care.  I used to go to great lengths making pizza sauce (straight from fresh tomatoes), but this is WAY easier and I like it better. So lose your ego on this one, you won't regret it.  You can pick it back up when you are making marinara, or making hand-formed sushi. hmmm, I haven't made sushi forever....

No comments: