My life has gone to pot...roast.

I'm convinced that pot roast was invented for sundays.  By the end of the week, you want something comforting, filling and easy.  a pot roast takes about 15 minutes to prepare, and then you just chuck it in the oven for a couple of hours on super low heat.  booyah!  dinner.  done.  I particularly like the veg that goes with pot roast.  in fact, I can't get enough of it.  there is something about the fact that all the flavors melt into them that makes them irresistible.  I always sear the meat on all sides, seasoned however you like, and then remove it to a plate to hang out for a while.  Then to the dutch oven I seared the meat in I add:  1 small onion, chunked, 3 stalks of celery, sliced into 1 inch pieces. 3 carrots, same, 3-4 potatoes, cubed (large), healthy amounts of cracked pepper, sprinkle of kosh, beef stock/broth, and about half a beer, or wineglass of wine.  what about the other half of beer?  you'll figure it out. put the roast back on top. lid.  oven. 300-325.  2-3 hours.  delicious.  (time will depend on your roast size, best to check after 2 hours.)
DISH recommends:
Dutch oven.  I like Staub, la Cocotte.  LeCreuset comes in at a close second.  they're both expensive, but they're worth it.  cutleryandmore.com Staub-$199 and up (depending on size) Le Creuset- $209.95 and up (depending on size). quality only hurts once.  you'll replace cheap crap your whole life.

No comments: