Sultry Poultry



A few holiday pics for you crazies.  I am a big advocate of herbed butters.  This one has sage, thyme, and rosemary.  Most of the time, when I roast a whole bird, I loosen the breast skin and smear some of this stuff under there.  It makes for a continuous basting process, and ensures moist juicy white meat.  I also place some type of cured pork on top of the breast meat (prosciutto, pancetta, or bacon) and then remove it when it has cooked to crispy status, usually about 30 minutes before the bird is done.  This has two purposes.  It lets the skin where the meat was resting crisp up and brown nicely, and also it gives you something nice to chop up and put in salad/mashed potatoes/gravy/your mouth/etc.  
the second picture is of my mom's better than excellent sweet potatoes.  She slices them thin and cooks them in some butter/oil with salt and peps and a tiny sprinkling of gran sugar, just to caramelize.  They are sooooo good.  I wish I had some right now.  The last photo is of the brined, buttered, and baconed turkey.  It was pretty delicious.  Wife loved it.  I loved it.  It was a hit.  Try the method out.  You can't beat it, seriously.  You can practice on some chickens, which are far less expensive and then work your way up.  peaces.

No comments: