even my tea is going green



Whew! I just finished doing yoga a couple of minutes ago. I had taken about a month off, due to some annoyingly lingering knee pain. Let me just say that getting back on the yoga horse does not an easy task make. I felt stiff, and heavy, but am glad to start up again. It's a different kind of workout than I'm used to but I really enjoy the sense of accomplishment that you get afterward. When I get done lifting, I feel like doing a king kong roar and snatching a damsel and climbing to the top of the empire state building (realistically, it's more like grabbing a banana and screaming at it, then primitively hunching my way over to the blender to make a shake, imaaaaginaaation...). sorry, sidetracked. hmmm, where was I...oh yeah, yoga...ok, after yoga you feel peaceful, balanced and harmonious, like a james taylor song, minus the turtleneck (and the vanity, right carly simon?). ok enough is enough...
FOOD!: Ratatouille was featured in this month's bon appetit. however, I didn't think that their version looked very appetizing. Actually, it kind of looked drab and gross. I wanted to make a version with some pizzaz where the vegetables had lots of flavor without giving up color and going all wibbly. I was pretty happy with the turnout and will post the recipe at the end of this.
Second photo is some penne marinara. Now, there is much debate over red sauces (or "gravies"). Some people demand sweetness, sugaring up there "reds". I think that adding sugar to the sauce is actually cheapening the end product, and dulling the flavor of the tomatoes. Tomatoes have a lot of natural sugar, you just have to coax it out of them, and sadly, most people think this takes too much time. I won't lie, it's obviously not as easy as opening a jar and throwing the sauce in a pot to reheat, but some things are worth the wait. Topped the pasta with some soft goat cheese and it made for a nice, light supper.
Third dish is broiled flank steak with some mini yukes and a tiny salad. Are you wondering how that deliciously beefy sauce that seductively blankets the flank steak was made? of course you are! unfortunately, it is my one secret, well...sort of secret (a few iron-clad-mouthed folks know), that I am not willing to share yet. I've got books to sell. I have to finish writing it first, of course, but it's a tip above all others, and one of my greatest inventions.

Sale Alert! Supes on 48th has pork butt for sale. 1.18$ a pound. not a bad price. I've seen them go lower, but still a really good deal.
DISH recommends:Tanimura & antle artisan lettuce (at sams club). Ok, this is absolutely ridiculous! For around 3 bucks, you get like 6 heads of cool, uncommon lettuce (two of which are a green and purple frisee). I don't have a sam's club membership, so I made a deal with someone that did. Actually I just gave them the money for it. This is really nice for times like now, when early crop lettuce has died out and you got used to eating it and are craving salads big-time. just an example.
OTHER STUFFS: My pal Green started a blog of his own. Check it out here: Green's bloggage!

Dish's super easy ratatouille:
1 japanese eggplant, sliced about 1/8" thin
1 medium sized zucchini sliced""
1 medium sized yellow squash sliced" "
1 roasted red pepper*
1 onion, diced small
1 garlic clove, minced
3 med size tomatoes, diced.
salt and peps
olive oil
grated parmesan
1/4 white wine or vermouth
In a heavy skillet or dutch oven (med heat), add a healthy drizz of olive oil and saute your onions, garlic, and roasted red pepper for about 5 minutes or until starting to get some color. add some salt and pepper to taste and then add the zucchini, eggplant, and squash. saute for an additional3-4 minutes (or until starting to get color), seasoning again with a little salt and peps (remember to be conservative here, we can always add more, but not take away). add the tomatoes and turn the heat up to med-high. go a couple minutes longer (the tomatoes should start to break down and lose their shape) and then add your vermouth and cook until the liquid reduces and you have a nice thick tomatoey sauce. check for seasoning and then plate in bowls with a healthy dose of parmesan, and a drizzle of fruity olive oil.
*You sure could roast this yourself, put it in a paper bag for a few minutes and peel off the charred skin, then dice it up and throw it in the dish. You could, and normally I would, I just happened to have a jar on hand that I bought from the Teej, so, you know,,,

No comments: