Blog Jackman



Originally, wife was going to perform a "blogjacking" on me. She made those tasty breakfast tacos.  But, alas, she hasn't had the time to do it or she has forgotten.  Anyway, just know that I can't take credit for those tasties.
My absence this last week is all because of the farmers market.  We have been ridiculously busy around the bakery.  Lots more sourdoughs and everything else, for that matter.  I was pretty nervous about the first market, but we made it through.  Went and saw a show this weekend, and did a LOT of yardwork (garden pics to follow).
foodstuff:
first pic is braised brisket with sweet potatoes and brussels.  I wanted to smoke it, but the weather didn't agree, so I seared it and put it in a dutch oven (in the oven) on low heat for most of the afternoon.
The second pic is my take on reubens. I think thousand island dressing sucks, so I use grainy mustard and I make my own "sauerkraut."  Actually it's just sweet and sour red cabbage.  will post a rec.
well, since I have a plethora of postings, I will keep this one shorter than Skee-lo (oh, 1995, so, so, silly...).  Dish...out.
Sweet and sour red cabbage:
1 head red cabbage, shredded
1 large red onion
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
salt and peps
balsamic vinegar
sugar
Heat a large saute pan over med heat and add your olive oil. Saute onions and garlic for a couple of minutes and then add your cabbage pile. cook (stirring, or flipping, or your favorite way to mix it up) for about 4-5 minutes, until cabbage starts to cook down and get translucent.  give it a little salt and peps and a couple tablespoons of sugar.  stir it up, and then add about a quarter cup of the balsamic. stir.  You may need to add more sugar or vinegar (I'm just guessing at these measurements here).  Stir frequently, making sure everything gets coated with the vinegar.  the balsamic and sugar will reduce to make a sort of caramel that coats the veg.  You can add more sugar if you prefer, but I like mine more tart then sweet.  Also tastes great with brats, or other pork dishes.

No comments: