My Yammy Vice...



Before I get going, let me just say that i love sweet potates to death! ok, now that that's over with....
It has been a while since my last post.  I was pretty out of it this whole last week.  Had the snoozies, big time.  Started out the week with some tasty lentils.  I had some linguica sausage in the freezer and made little meatballs out of those tasties and stewed them in the lentils.  Wife is demonstrating proper lentil eating technique (bread in one hand, fork in the other...just in cases).  Up until this last year or so, I had not made lentils that often, if ever.  Give it a try, they are a really easy and quick way to change up your dinner.  they take on flavors extremely well (overachievers...hmmph).
I'm really excited about this sweet potato/collard greens/curried salmon dish.  It was. by far, this week's tastiest surprise.  It was kind of a "fly by the pant's seat" dish, but sometimes those are the best!  I roasted some sweet tates (on a baking sheet) with salt and peps and olive oil until they were done and then set them aside. then I went about sauteing some collard greens with onion, garlic, and black grapes (sliced thin).  As soon as those were nice and tasty, I brushed my salmon(s) with a mixture of brown sugar, olive oil, curry powder, and chile powder.  whizzed it into the broiler (on the same pan as the sweet potatoes, which went back in to reheat them) and broiled until med-rare.  For plating, I mashed the sweets and made a little pile, topped with the greens, and then the salmon.  I reserved some of the black grapes to put on top of the salmon, it's for fun!  The combination of the sweetness from the tates, and the bitterness of the greens perfectly compliments the curry flavor of the salmon.  I was pretty surprised that it went together as well as it did.  
The last dish up there was a "I'm so tired and we have mucho veg in the fridge curry."  Basically, I took a ton of veggies from the fridge and cooked them down with some cumin, coriander, cilantro, cloves, chile powder, and salt and peps.  It was the kind of dish where I could just throw everything into a pot and walk away, and by saturday night, I'm ready for that kind of cooking.  
other newsworthies:  I forgot to mention that the bakery is selling chocolates (truffles) that are handmade by a lady that (I think) lives in omaha.  I've tried two of them and they were really really good. AND, we have many, many new things that we are adding to our delicious offerings,  so check them out if you are in.  Also, I am thinking about purchasing some upgrades for the digicam.  I really want to get an external flash and am also thinking about getting another, zoomier lens.  Also, Also, I have a few different kinds of lettuce coming up now, should be ready for eats in a couple of weeks.
DISH recommends:
Calphalon Jelly Roll Pan Set. I use these pans all the time in combo with silpats.  I like the huge size and they have never let me down.  30 clams for two...not bad.
ok, I have to get going, will post more later. pieces.

Curry Glaze (for meats, etc.)
1/4 C olive oil
1tbs brown sugar
2 t curry powder
1/2 t chile powder
1/2 t blk peps
1/4 salt.
mix everything together in a little bowl and then brush on to desired meat treats.  Roast, grill or, broil your way to tastyland.
ps, as always, I am more than happy to give out recipes, just let me know if I missed one you would like.

1 comment:

Sarah M said...

We eat lentils probably once a week over here. German thing.