The last time Meatloaf was this good was in Fight Club!



I had a request for the caramelized onion soup recipe, so I will be sure to post it at the end of this (my wicked ploy to make you read this post, nice:)
Well, this last weekend we took a trip back to our hometown to visit family and such.  The great thing about going back home is people want to cook tasty things for you.  This trip was no exception.  Nance (wifeshow's momma) made some delectable fried chicken the first night that we were there. I don't have a recipe for this, so you'll just have to know that it was tasty.  They served it up with asparagus (with toasted pine nuts) and mashed potatoes. consider yourself comforted.  MamaDish ended up making meatloaf on sunday.  I really enjoy her meatloaf.  She also used that to stuff two kinds of peppers (jalapenos/pablanos) and served it with baked potatoes, baked beans, and a cabbage salad (somewhere between sauerkraut and coleslaw).  The last photo is a baguette from work.  I thought that it was a really nice looking baguette and had to snap a photo.  I am consistently impressed with the quality of bread we produce there, and I am really proud to be part of that process.  Really, you must try it out if you haven't already. (Le Quartier Baking Co.)
ok to the soup, my minions:
Caramelized onion soup: (serves about 4)
2 med size yellow onions sliced thin
2 med size red onions " "
2 cloves garlic minced
large handful celery leaves, about 1 cup (If you don't have these, just use 1-2 ribs celery, but try to get the leaves as they have a unique flavor)
olive oil

salt and peps
stock (I ended up using chicken and beef, but could easily sub. veggie if you wanted to make it vegetarian friendly).
sauteed asparagus
gruyere  (or your favorite) cheese
slices of crusty bread (toasted in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper, 400F, about 8 minutes)
In a dutch oven or heavy pot over med heat, heat a generous amount of  olive oil (couple tbs).  when it starts to shimmer, add your thinly sliced onions and garlic and saute until they start to turn golden brown. when they have some color to them and you start to get a nice fond (golden brown tasty stuff) on the bottom of your pot, add about a half wineglass full of water and scrape up the browned bits.after the second time, add your celery leaves.  Do this process 4 times. (we are concentrating the flavors here, it's kind of annoying, I know, but it's really worth it, and since we are concentrating things, hold off on adding salt just yet).  once you have done this 4 times, add about 28-32 ounces of the stock of your choice.  Now you may season with salt and a little extra pepper.  Turn your heat to low, cover, and let this simmer for the time it takes you to toast your bread and saute your asparagus.  I just tossed some bread cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then popped them into the oven until they were toastified. for the asparagus, just heat a skillet with some olive oil, and throw in a little handful, saute for a couple of minutes with salt and peps, you still want this to be tender CRISP, it will be a nice contrast to the soup.
After you have pulled the bread out of the oven and finished sauteing the gus , blend your soup with a stick blender (you listened to me and picked one of these up, right?) or in batches in a regular blender (only filling half-way, you don't want to burn yourself and look like this!).  Ladle into oven-proof bowls, top with your homemade croutons and cheese and then stick under your broiler to melt the cheese (usually until golden brown, but I think that in my pic I just went until melty status, I was hungry, couldn't wait.) Garnish with asparagus spears, and a drizz of olive oil.
As I didn't prepare the above pictures (minus the bread) myself, I really have no recommends this post, but never fear!  They shall return soon!
 

1 comment:

Gary said...

That fried chicken looks so good!!!!