"Fox in the Snow" or "The Big Schlep!"



Wife and I had been craving thai food.  However, since we have committed to dining out once a month, we had to figure this one out on our own.  I had tried to recreate this dish from our favsies place, but had never succeeded.  I called up my cousin Lyndi (who was born and raised in Thailand) for some tips and was quite pleased with the outcome.  My main problem was that I wasn't using enough Oyster sauce.  The dish turned out really well.  The veg was a tad overcooked, but that was my fault (I forgot wife was going to do Pilates after work:)  
Snidenotes, I mean sidenotes:  We took a hiking photog trip to the platter river on saturday afternoon.  We made sure to bundle up as it was ridiculously cold.  Snapped some sweet shots.  I know marth will get the chops reference, I mean fox reference, anyone else?  I thought the railroad shot was pretty cool.
DISH recommends:
Nikon D40 SLR:  My camera of choice.  For the avid snapper (photos, not the flaky to firm whitefish) this is a pretty sweet beginner's slr.  I will be upgrading to a different lens soon, but I have been more than pleased with the quality of my pics.  Around $500, stores everywhere.
Thai do's:  serves 4ish 
1 lb meats (chicken, pork or beef, or tofu) (I used chicken thigh meat)
about a cup or so of broccoli florets
5-6 scallions, cut on the diagonal in 3 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin (goodfellas thin)
handful of snow peas
 ""mung bean sprouts
dry pint of mushrooms. quartered.
1 cup chiffonade collard greens
1/3 cup oyster sauce
couple dashes fish sauce
about 1/4 cup stock
1-2 tbs soy sauce
splash white vinegar
sprinkling of sugar
heat up a skillet and put in some veg oil.  add your scallions, garlic, and mushrooms.  saute for a couple of minutes.  add your broccoli, and go a little longer. now add your chicken, collard greens, oyster sauce, fish and soy sauces.  once this has all incorporated, add the snow peas, stock, vinegar, and sugar.  cook until the chicken is done and thickened as you like.  add the sprouts 2 minutes before serving.  you can always add a little more stock to thin out.  serve over jasmine rice. or you could do noodles too.  I like rice, it's twice as nice.


No comments: