Between the Berries and me

I pretty much make the best berry syrup ever.  Here's how I do:
Take a handful of tiny berries (blue, rasp, goose, black, whatevs) and throw them into a small pot.  add a couple tablespoons of sugar.  now, you may add some strawberries (fresh or frozen, 6-8).  Add a Splash of orange liqueur (like grand marnier, or if you are like me and can't justify buying Grand Marnier, just add a shot or two of triple sec) and about a 1/4 cup of OJ.  Let the berries soften a little and then smash them up with a potato masher or back of a ladle, or a sterile brick that you meticulously took the time to sterilize.  After smash time, blend everything up with a stick blender (you can use a regular blender if you do not have a stick blender, but I would get one if I were you, like, now or tomorrow at the latest!) and then reduce to your liking, adding sugar to your preferred sweetness (if needed).  Done.  Delicious waffle toppins, or pancakes, pound cakes, ice cream, etc.  For a really easy dessert, you could make a mixed berry fool, which is just really thick whipped cream, layered (in a tiny glass or parfait) with berries (in this case use your syrup that you made extra thick and add some freshies).  Sounds great yeah?  
Well, I have successfully started my weekend with going to our friends babies' baptism.  She is a pretty cute baby.  There was a TON of food there, including a whole ham and turkey, plus salads to the limit.  It was a good time, but I was dead tired.  I went right after my shift and didn't get a nap in.  But, all in all, a fun time was had.  Going to be somewhat of a busy two days here, with some snack production and a good roast happening (chicken to be exact).    I am also thinking about doing a fruitcake here really soon, so it will be just in time for the hols. peace

No comments: