Chicken (or paneer or mixed veg) Korma…or…How Dish got his groove back...



I know, I know. It's been like, forever, trevor.  Many things have been a changing', and I'm here to fill you in.  First thing- I am no longer a baker.  I know. Weird.  Its weird for me too.  But I am now chief soup and sandwich guy at the bakery.  And its wonderful.  I thought I loved making bread all day, but I  love this even more.  The fam is doing well and I hope you all are in good health and such.  And now lets get down to it.  Lets make some curry.

at casa Dish, we eat curry once a week.  I was greatly relieved when I found out my kid liked curry as much as i do (that crap about kids not liking strong flavors is, well…crap.). It's a crowd pleaser, a tongue-teaser, and a budget squeezer (in a good way).  It can be tweaked here and there to suit lots of different tastes and diets (the lady of the house is allergic to dairy so this is actually a dairy free version).  

If I want a veggie version, I'll substitute with chunks of grilled paneer or I've also made it vegan with some chickpeas and mixed veg.  The main thing is that you get the sauce down. After that, the sky is the limit on what you can do with this.

Basically, we start by searing our well seasoned chicken.  I use (and recommend) a pressure cooker for curries for then sake of time and cleanup.  After it has some nice color, set it aside and then ad your veg and spices to the same pot.  Maybe drizzle in a little more oil. Saute until they start to get translucent and then add some liquid (chicken stock or veg stock). put the lid on and make sure its sealed, bring it to the highest pressure and cook for five minutes.  It'll look something like the pic above.  Then, I blend it up with my immersion blender.  You can use a counter top blender if you want, just don't burn your face-off. (seriously, the only travolta worth watching, and only because he's nicolas cage).

add the chicken back to the pureed sauce and cover with the lid.  Bring to the highest pressure again cook for five more minutes.  release pressure and then check seasonings for taste. I'll stir in a little almond milk at this point and some dairy free butter. obviously if you can eat dairy, add heavy cream or milk and regular butter. Boom. Easy.  If you don't have a pressure cooker (WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?! HOW DO YOU FUNCTION?!) that's just fine.  It'll just take way longer, and maybe you're cool like that.  Well, zen-master, I am not.  When I want curry, I want it now. 

Serve it up like this, and your guests will think you know a thing or two about cooking. shhh, it'll be our secret that it only took 30 minutes.


Chicken (or whatever) Korma 
veg oil
1 pound chicken (or paneer or mixed veg of your choice)
1 med onion, doesn't matter how you slice it (its still an onion!)
2 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of fresh ginger
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbs garam masala
1 tbs coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp dried curry leaves (crumbled up into powder, just use your hands)
1-2 tsp fenugreek powder
14 oz stock
salt and pepper
I went over the method above, you got this.
DISH recommends: Fagor Pressure cooker.  the Kuhn Rikon ones are nice too.

No comments: