I'll get it later...we've got important work to do...



You all know that I've had to simplify things here a bit lately...like really, really simplify things. For example, I have one little burner to cook on and it has all the power of about 3 disposable bic lighters, so I have to make things that are fairly quick to come together. With that said, it hasn't been all that bad. Sure, I am getting a little discouraged (I suddenly have cravings for anything baked), but it won't be much longer and things will really start to get going (have a carpenter coming tomorrow and then drywall folks after that) and we can all forget this little speedbump that pretty much derailed the dish for a couple of months...
anyway, back to my thoughts...I am starting to embrace simplicity. The photo in the middle is one of the best things that I have eaten recently and couldn't have been more simple to make. Boiled yukon golds that are just smashed with a fork, topped with this tomato sauce (i cut my onion up and then pureed everything), a few cherry toms, basil leaves (from my plant that i still haven't killed), and some fruity olive oil. all of the flavors blended really well together, but without getting lost in the final product. whole wheat baguette came along for the ride.
the other two pics are pork chili MADNESS!!! I read a very good article in bon apetit a while back about making big batches of things and freezing them for later use. Pork shoulder was one of the things they recommended. they roasted theirs, I called on the help of smokey to stock my freezer with this pleaser. Seriously though, it was really handy having that pork shoulder ready to go. would totally recommend it. Other photo is of pork chili over scrambled eggs, or as mames likes to call it: The best. thing. ever. I think she would eat pork chili for days on end.
otherstuffs: The market is in full swing, so I have been quite busy. started reading a new book. amy got a sweet new bike, and probably tons of other stuff I'm too tired to remember. will try to be more frequent in the coming weeks. Oh, also, we went to the boiler room for our anniversary. It was really good. I think that it is probably one of, if not the best non-ethnic restaurants in the state. Their staff is so good at getting the maximum amount of flavor out of their food without it being overkill. we had a few amazing cocktails (sidecar, old havana), a great first course of oxtail agnolotti with asparagus and shaved black truffle (was soooo amazing), and main courses of braised pork shoulder with morels and asparagus (and some kind of dumpling that i can't remember) with pureed parsnip and also some wagyu short ribs that were paired with lobster claws and creamed kale. if you haven't been before, it is totally worth checking out. and I think that it is really affordable for a nicer place. service is great and their bread is delicious ( naturally:)
DISH recommends: the boiler room. it is now my go to place for nicer dinners in omaha. They try to source as much local stuff as possible which is something I can totally get in to (kind of like paul rudd and that tayne fella)


1 comment:

Chris said...

I've always been a beef chili kind of guy. But I have smoked pork shoulder and smoked ham in the freezer and you've given me an excuse now!