The end of one season, the start of another...




I can't believe that the farmer's market is finally over. A collective sigh of relief can be heard all through the bakery as things (at least on friday nights), hopefully slow down just a touch. I have sooooo many things that I want to accomplish before next may, so I've had to prioritize. Here are a few:
Start Kitchen Remodel: It literally kills me to know that I have a brand new super sweet convection oven just camping out down in my basement. I pretend it's not there. However, I don't really want to start remodeling in the dead of winter so this whole subject is kind of up in the air. We have our cabinets picked out (sort of), Wifeshow has been drawing out the kitch in her sparetime, we are just waiting it out until our cabs go on sale again...
Resume production of dishbook: Yeah, Yeah...you guys try and write a book. it's super hard (right Marth!). Not only do you have to have original ideas, you have to have the time, and more importantly, the motivation, which I've been lacking greatly here in the last few months. Although, I've been thinking of enlisting a certain crafty lady, if only I can steal her away from her awesome sewing machine and borrow some of her fairy dust to sprinkle on my computer... (seriously, mia, think it over, I don't know when you would have the time but...:)
Acquire some new furniture: It's time to get some new stuff. you know that old couch that was your first piece of furniture that you moved from apartment to apartment? yeah, that's where we are.
Try and take some sort of vacation: oh man do we need this one. Two people, each working around fifty hours a week. different schedules. you get the idea. We see each other for about 3 hours per day during the week. hopefully we can get away for at least 3-5 days. don't have anywhere in mind though, mames has to go to alaska later on, maybe I'll meet her there...
ok foodstuffs: if you have never roasted a piece of meat all day long, put it on your list of things to do this next weekend. The first pic there is an all day roasted pork shoulder. It was around seven pounds and it cooked from 9am until about 6 pm. The trick here is to start the roast off at a really high heat (450-500F) for about 20-30 minutes, and then knock it down to 250 for the remainder of the time. you can season the beast however you like. I just did some herbs (scarbourough fair style) and salt and pepper. You score the skin on top and give the meat a good rub down, getting into all the scored areas. I rested the shoulder (always, fat and skin side up!) on some roughly chopped veg (potates, turnips, onions, celery, and carrots) and then just let it do its thing. the roasting meat and herbs perfume your house with a great smell. Your neighbors will be jealous, even more than normal:) about an hour before the meat is done, tip a whole bottle of white wine into the pan and let that cook for the last hour. when it's done, pull the roast out and set aside for about 20 minutes before you start dismantling it, and pour some stock (chick or veg) into the roasting pan and let it reduce to your liking. You could thicken it if you want a gravy, but I just kind of like "jus" style. Served with some sauteed lacinato kale. Next pic is some braised elk and carrots with super creamy mashed potatoes, which were kind of an accident, but will become a mainstay now. here's the do: Peel the tates, salt the cold water and set them on high. let them boil for about 4 minutes and then cover and turn down to low and let cook for about 35 minutes (seems like a long time, I know, just go with it). Drain water and then smash with butter and sour cream (no milk!) until desired consistency is reached. Yeah, they're fatty, but seriously how often do you eat mashed potatoes? well, you might eat them more if you try it this way...season with salt and peps. next dish was butternut squash soup with braised kale, mushrooms, and bacon. a very good soup that will definitely ward off the frigid briskies. Last dish was chicken madeline, a dish I made up for the Iske's. basically chicken paillards, sauteed with brocolli, caramelized onions, and garlic, then simmered in parmesan cream and served with roasted potatoes.
ok, non-foods: Last week, we bought some power tools. Nothing that I ever thought that I would be saying, but, hey, this is definitely a year of firsts. We debated and debated and decided to go with dewalt stuff, and let me tell you, I couldn't be happier. Very well made and definitely full of zip. I've already used the reciprocating saw that I never thought I would use...
Also, Back to foods: sorry, almost forgot. I eventually knew this was going to happen, but have been putting it off for a while...Wifeshow and I are switching to buying organic stuff. Well, right now we've converted to just produce (except for a few things). We are so close to open harvest now and the quality is just so much better. If there is one thing I hate, it's mediocre produce. I thought that there would be a huge increase in cost, but honestly, we did the math and we only spent 5 extra dollars. 5 bucks, peeps. To me, that's totally worth it, just have to be smart about what we buy there. It may not necessarily be better for our bodies, but I know that it is better for the earth. and it's kind of cool that my carrots came from only 5 miles away, instead if a bajillion. if you haven't been there in a while, check out open harvest. they've remodeled the place, and it's pretty nice. hmmm, I forgot to post the cassoulet recipe again....perhaps later in the week...
DISH recommends:
Bubbies Pickles: It used to be my goal to find the best pickle in lincoln, or nebraska for that matter. until a while ago, I had given up, everything that I had found was lackluster and just riddled with neon green chemicals. that was, until, I picked up a jar of these hunger inducing gems. I can't recommend them enough, just be prepared to shell out 7 bucks a jar ! (Got mine at open harvest)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you best become members of OH if you aren't already! Then you can score some member only specials!

mc

I'll Give You Two Guesses said...

HOLY HELL!! The "Stroganoff the Record" is freaking fabulous!!!

Oh Steve, be still my heart with your delectable dishes. You are my hero. :)