...then my kitchen is in most definite peril.

I was staring at this picture for a long time trying to figure out what it was that I had made.  I finally realized it was sausages and tomato sauce.  Martha had given me a crap ton of basil (which I, regretfully, let most of go to waste :( ) so I wanted to do some tomato sauce.  Really easy, easy stuff.  Here's how I do the sauce:
chop 1 small onion, a handful of basil stems, a clove of garlic, 1 carrot and 1 rib celery, very fine.  saute in oo until fragrant.  add some kosh, and peps, a dash of cinnamon, and cook a couple of minutes more. Take a can of plum tomatoes (if you can spring for the pricey ones it's obviously better, san marzetti?, {sp}) and pour them, juice and all, into the saute, smashing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.  crank up the heat and let reduce for about 5-8 minutes.  when the carrots are soft, throw it all in a blender, or use a stick blender, and return to simmer.  At this point you add some basil chiffonade (thinly sliced basil leaves, if you want them to be visible, if not then put them in before you blend.) or a sploosh of wine or vodka or whatever.  You can use any type of meat you want and any type of pasta.  i just prefer sausages, don't act surprised.

No comments: